Use our pho spice sachet to make this delicious noodle soup at home!
Author: Pat's Pantry
- 8 lbs. beef bones
- 1 lb. beef brisket
- 2 onions, peeled, halved, roasted at 425 F in oven for 15-20 minutes to char them
- 4” knob of ginger, cut in half lengthwise and roasted with onion
- 6 quarts of water
- Pho Spice Sachet
- 1 ½ tbsp. salt
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- Rice noodles, prepared according to package directions
- Place beef bones in a large stockpot, cover with cold water and bring to boil. Boil to 2-3 minutes, then drain and rinse bones, discard water. This step will ensure a clear broth. If you don't want to boil then rinse the bones you can skim the scum that rises to the surface though your broth may not be as clear.
- Place rinsed bones in clean stockpot, add brisket, charred onion and ginger, spice sachet and salt.
- Cover with cold water, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for approximately 3 hours, removing brisket after 2 hours (or when fork tender)
- Prepare rice noodles according to package directions, set aside while broth continues to simmer
- Strain broth and return broth to pot, add ¼ cup fish sauce, taste and add more salt or fish sauce as needed.
- Slice brisket and add to broth along with rice noodles
- Serve with sliced scallions, basil, mung bean sprouts, sliced chile and a wedge of lime.