Pappardelle in Lemon Cream Sauce with Asparagus and Smoked Salmon
I've been making this recipe for nearly 20 years! It is one I look forward to preparing as soon as fresh asparagus hits the farmer's market.
Author: Gourmet Magazine
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 2 large shallots
- 2 lemons
- ¼ lb. sliced smoked salmon
- 1 lb. dried pappardelle or fettucine
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Trim asparagus and diagonally cut into ¼ inch thick slices
- Finely chop the shallots
- Finely grate enough lemon zest to measure 1½ tsp.
- Squeeze enough lemon juice to measure 3 tbsp.
- Cut salmon into 2 by ½ inch strips
- Fill a 6 qt. pot ¾ full with salted water and bring to boil for asparagus and pasta
- Cook asparagus in boiling water until crisp tender, about 3 min., with slotted spoon transfer to bowl of ice water to stop cooking, reserving water in pot. Drain asparagus and set aside, reserving some tips for garnish
- In a deep 12 in. heavy skillet cook shallots in butter with salt and pepper over med heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 min.
- Stir in cream and zest and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 10 min.
- Stir in 2 tbsp. lemon juice and remove skillet from heat.
- Return water in pot to boil, add pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water
- Add pasta to sauce, along with asparagus, ½ cup pasta water, three fourths of the salmon, remaining 1 tbsp. lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat mixture over low heat, gently tossing until just heated through, adding more pasta water if mixture becomes dry.
- Serve pasta with reserved asparagus tips and salmon.