Moles are Mexican cooked sauces, flavored with chilies and herbs. Green mole is good with poached chicken breasts and sauteed duck breast.
Author: Jill Norman
Recipe type: Sauces
- ⅔ cup pumpkin seeds
- 6 tomatillos, fresh or canned
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10 romaine leaves, torn
- 3 tbsp.chopped cilantro
- leaves from 3 sprigs or fresh epazote, or 1 tbsp. dried
- 4 serrano chile peppers, seeded and chopped
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Dry-roast the pumpkin seeds, stirring to prevent burning. Let cool, then grind.
- If tomatillos are fresh, remove the husks and chop the flesh.
- Blend the tomatillos with the vegetables, herbs and spices.
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the sauce, stirring constantly over high heat so that it thickens, about 5 minutes. Set aside
- Stir the pumpkin seeds into the stock and add to the sauce. Very gently heat it over med-low heat, avoiding boiling or it will lose its color.
- Let it barely simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.