Chicken Tagine with Preserved Lemons and Olives
Serves: Serves 6-8
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ tsp saffron threads, crushed
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 10 pieces chicken*
- 2 tbsp. clarified butter
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1 Ceylon cinnamon stick
- 16 cracked green olives, pitted
- 1 large preserved lemon, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp. flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Mix garlic, spices, salt and pepper. Rub over chicken, Cover and marinate 3-4 hours
- Heat clarified butter in skillet, add chicken. Brown on all sides. Remove to platter
- Add onions to skillet and cook over med-low heat until lightly browned. Transfer to tagine, if using or leave in skillet. Add cinnamon stick. Place chicken on onions. Scatter with olives and preserved lemon. Mix stock and lemon juice. Pour over chicken. Cover skillet or tagine. Place over low heat.
- Cook 30-45 min until chicken is done. Scatter parsley on top and serve.
- Spoon the pan juices over steamed couscous!
- *you can cut up a whole chicken or use chicken thighs. You can leave the skin on or remove it after you brown the chicken. If you leave the skin on run the dish under the broiler to crisp up the skin before serving.