Chana Masala (quick version)
On those nights when I want something on the table in under 30 minutes this is one of my go to recipes! Great with rice as a vegetarian dish or makes a great side with chicken thighs.
Author: Pat's Pantry
Recipe type: Vegetarian
Serves: Serves 2-3
- 2 tbsp. ghee, clarified butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¾ inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1 serrano or jalapeno chile, minced
- 1 tbsp. Chana masala spice blend
- 2 -3 plum tomatoes, chopped, fresh or canned, about 1½ cups
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ cup water
- ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt
- Melt ghee in skillet over medium heat. Add onions, stirring occasionally until softened about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, chile pepper, Cook for another 2 minutes then stir in spice blend and cook another 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, stir to combine, then add salt and cook until tomatoes start to break down. Once tomatoes are soft add chickpeas and water. Simmer for 10 minutes or so, allowing most of the liquid to evaporate.
- Squeeze lemon juice over top and let cook another minute . Turn off heat and stir in yogurt. Fold in cilantro and serve.