Quick Chicken Tikka Masala
A quick and easy version of tikka masala using our spice blend.
Author: Pat's Pantry
Recipe type: Main Dish
Serves: serves 4
- 1 piece fresh ginger (2½ in) peeled
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ medium yellow onion
- 1½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- ¾ tsp. freshley ground black pepper, divided
- 4 tsp. tikka masala spice blend, divided
- 2 tbsp. ghee, EVOO or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup plain full fat or low fat yogurt (not Greek)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Naan or basmati rice for serving
- Pulse ginger, garlic and onion in food processor until finely chepped.
- Toss chicken with 1½ tsp. salt, ½ tsp. pepper and 1 tsp. tikka masala blend in medium bowl.
- Heat oil over med. high heat in a large skillet.
- Add chicken and cook until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes
- Transfer chicken to a clean bowl
- Heat same skillet over med.heat, add butter, onion mixture, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened and translucent, about 3 minutes
- Add tomato paste and remaining 3 tsp tikka masala blend
- Cook, stirring constantly, about 30 seconds
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until hot, about 2 min.
- Return chicken to pan and cook until warmed through, about 1 min.
- Remove from heat and stir in yogurt and lemon juice
- Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as needed
- Divide among 4 plates, top with cilantro and serve with naan or serve over rice.